Friday, September 5, 2008

Letter to Cousin

Dear Michelle,
As you know I am Studying Public Relations at Utah State and Plan to graduate in the spring. When I was visiting in San Diego this last summer you asked me what exactly a public relations person does. Well, to answer your question, we do a lot of things. Our main focus is to be the mediator between the public and a company or organization. There is a lot of writing involved in this field and is commonly known for writing press releases, business letters, and informing the media about upcoming news.
There are many different avenues you can take in Public Relations. Basically every company or organization will have PR representatives. For example, Andrea, my sister in-law, works for San Diego State University’s Media Relations department. One of her many jobs in PR is to inform the media about news concerning SDSU athletics. You can also work for the non-profit sector, professional or collegiate sports teams, universities, large corporations, or even small companies.
There can be a lot of research in your job as a PR Professional. There are firms created just for PR representatives that many companies hire. These PR firms research and campaign for a change to help improve each company that hires them.
I know you like to write and are very good with people. I think that you should consider this major at SDSU because it has been very beneficial to me. Even if I don’t end up getting a job in PR I will use the skills I have gained from PR in my future career. Have a great school year!
Your Cousin,
Jason Rogers

1 comment:

R. Craig Morris said...

Great detail. I like how you made it so personal to her in the end, too. I'm the same as you, I don't think I will go into PR but we learn good stuff from all these classes.